Monday 25 May 2009

Week Beginning sometime in the past.

My brain is leaking out my ears. So I am forcing myself to blog in an attempt to try and find some sort of structure. (This is not helped by the sounds coming from downstairs. It sounds as though the father is beating up his kid, given the unearthly screams and thumps I'm hearing. Perhaps I should report him to childline... but there again it might just be a computer game or something.)

So last Monday was Showlight where I grabbed some experience on the Vision Mixer. I'd seen one used before back in Glasgow Uni, but never operated it myself. It's remarkably stressful doing a live edit, and inevitable slip ups occur.

Monday evening was a posh dinner at the Fruitmarket which I very much enjoyed. I got blethering to some punters - such as a student from Maine, a previous lecturer at the Academy and a random bloke called Tim - but always had Paul and Phil to chat to if things became too geekishly lighting-centred.

Tuesday was back at the BBC for Sound. I was thrown into the hot seat when the woman who was supposed to be doing the job turned up almost two hours late, rather hungover, or possibly still drunk. In her absence I had been placed in front of the PA mixer desk, and pretty much told "This does this. That does that. Any questions? No. Good" and left to get on with it. After she turned up, the excitement slumped, until we were just handing microphones to audience members.

All in all an excellent experience. I enjoyed the talks I heard, I enjoyed meeting some interesting folk. I enjoyed the free food. Ultimately I enjoyed the atmosphere and working in that environment.

Wednesday was a Screening of Easy Riders and Raging Bulls, which was in insight into a period of film-making history about which I knew next to nothing.

Thursday was a final lecture on TV, looking at the future of the medium.

Fridaywas a class with Abigail. We saw the film Floating is Easy for which we had previously done a schedule. It was even more depressing than the script, but it seems that Scottish Screen and other groups in Scotland have convinced themselves that this sort of drab grim grey material about unhappy people being miserable is somehow meaningful and connects with people on a deep level. As far as I can tell it is quite the reverse and generally people go to the cinema to see beautiful people doing interesting things.

Having finished Kim's assignment, we now have Andy's to be working on. Meanwhile Adam's and Richard's are looming, Dust continues to run into scheduling difficulties, Little Clown presents a host of new challenges, I am trying to organise a conference for my church on June 13th and I am to be working at STV for the rest of this week. While this last item is very welcome, it is another thing to add to my extensive list of things to do. I hope driving a van is not as arduous as it looks!

Friday was

No comments: