Monday 2 November 2009

Week Beginning 26/10

Monday was a class on Mise-En-Scene, coming right in the middle of a day of pre-production on An Riaghailt Or. We looked at the subtext involved in a characters movement across the screen, and also certain visual metaphors (such as the window blinds as Fargo becoming progressively more like prison bars). I’m not sure whether this is supposed to affect the audience subconsciously or whether it is a foible by which film-makers show off to other film-makers, critics and intellectuals. If I pick up on something like this in a movie, I feel immediately very clever for spotting it, but only in the sense of respecting the direction. I am not sure it makes me appreciate the story any more. The key film here for me is “Atonement”, which is full of such visual metaphor. Some of these I got, some I didn’t. It sort of added a new layer to the film for me, but only because there were so many things glaring at me.

Tuesday was a day of Factual Content, looking at the ethics of reporting on individuals to the public. I found this class particularly interesting, especially the little ethical puzzles given to us. I had never really considered the implications of undercover reporting before, but I’m not sure that, as a Christian, I could do it, or get someone else to do it. The lies, deceit and indeed betrayal involved make it very difficult to justify except by the old adage that “the end justifies the means”. And I’m not sure that it does.

Wednesday was a day off - so I tried to get on with post-production for Dust. I only got an hour or two in before I was evicted from the DTU again! I’m going to have to think of a way round this predicament. The fact that Client Services won’t let me in is perhaps an obstacle I should raise with Upstairs. My name isn’t on the golden list!

Thursday morning was a class on Lighting with Gaffer Derrick Ritchie. While I’m not sure I learnt any specific technical trick, I found the class quite inspiring. Like a Masterclass, we heard an industry professional enthusing about his life’s work. It reminded me strongly of some of the talks I had heard at Showlight. I don’t suppose it’s an easy thing to teach. It’s like getting an artist in to teach you painting for one morning. All he or she would realistically be able to do is inspire you to continue with your own paintings. And the class certainly did the lighting equivalent of that!

Thursday afternoon and Friday morning were a class on Storyboards: their use, misuse and creation. This is possibly the first time we have done something in Zam’s class we have not touched on in any other class, and I found it very helpful. Zam’s particular teaching style I also find very good: lots of assignments to work on and continual input in shaping these ideas further. We also had a chance to discuss some of what we were hoping to do at the weekend, with An Riaghailt Or, and he offered some helpful advice.

Friday afternoon was “The Searchers” - see other blog.

No comments: